Institute of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences
During the last few decades the demand for mental health services has increased tremendously. This is both due to the increasing stress of modern times as well as enhanced mental health awareness. The mental health professionals of Institute of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences have been striving to provide quality care to persons who approach Sir Ganga Ram Hospital with their mental health issues.
Our team consists of a dedicated group of psychiatrists, psychologists and allied professionals who are proud to contribute to the mental health and psychological wellbeing of not only the persons suffering from mental illness and psychological problems but also of society in general.
Our focus is on educative, preventive, clinical, therapeutic and rehabilitative aspects of the mental health so that persons suffering from mental health issues become productive individuals of the society as far as possible.
Our aim is to understand the person, coming to us for help, as a whole by applying the latest scientific knowledge in the field of mind, brain and body to improve his or her symptoms, course, outcome and quality of life .
Our vision is to reach the unreached to provide mental health care through our community programmes.
Our Dream is to help improve the happiness quotient of the community.
Comprehensive mental health assessments and treatment is coordinated by
• Occupational therapists
• Yoga therapist
• Experienced nurses
• Professionals from other departments if the need be
Together we construct a personalized treatment plan to meet the unique needs of our patients.
• Dr. V. Kumar
• Dr. S.C. Malik
• Dr. J.M. Wadhawan
• Dr. Anita Mahajan
• Dr. Rajesh Goyal
• Dr. Rajiv Mehta
• Dr. Soumya Tandon
• Dr Roma Kumar
• Dr Arti Anand
• Dr Sanjila Maini
• Dr Richa Kapoor
• General Psychiatry
• Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
• Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
• Counselling and psychotherapy
• Clinical Psychology
• Occupational therapy
• Blood tests
• Genetic tests
• Psychometry like IQ testing, CAT, TAT, Rorschach test.
• Cardiac tests
• Pharmacotherapy ie medicines
• Motivation enhancement therapy, detoxification and relapse prevention for alcohol and substance abuse
• Counselling for adults, children and adolescents and parents
• Psychotherapy e.g. Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Rational Emotive Therapy, Inter Personal Therapy, Family Therapy etc.
• Behavior therapy eg systematic desensitization, extinction etc.
• Early intervention in children
• Stress management.
• Coping strategies
• Relaxation therapy eg JPMR (Jacobson’s Progressive Muscle Relaxation), autogenic training etc.
• Lifestyle modification
• Yoga therapy
• Occupational therapy techniques
Depending upon the need, some of the treatment are delivered in a couple or group format.
We cater to following areas of psychiatry
· A person practicing General Psychiatry treats a wide spectrum of psychiatric symptoms, disorders and psychological issues across all ages and across all specialities of Psychiatry.
· After comprehensive evaluation, patients receive individualized care, which may include treatment modalities mentioned above..
This involves treatment of patients where both physical and psychiatric or psychological factors are affecting the patient.
• Body and mind are inseparable and enhance or worsen functioning of each other.
• Psychological factors are often responsible for initiating, exacerbating or prolonging medical illnesses. Serious or chronic medical illness or rarely its treatment may lead to psychiatric symptoms or illnesses.
• Behavioural factors are responsible for proper treatment adherence and optimal results in the management of diseases especially chronic, serious or complicated diseases.
• Therefore, our consultants provide services to ward, OPD and postoperative patients whenever there is a need after proper referral by the treating doctor.
• Our team provides psychiatric evaluation and support services to the liver and kidney organ transplant units, Plastic surgery department for sex reassignment surgery and Infertility and Obstetric departments among others.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
This involves treatment of children and adolescents with mental illness, behavioral or psychological problems and interpersonal issues. It needs special expertise to deal with unique developmental needs of this group as well as their parents.
• Children and teenagers receive treatment for a wide variety of conditions, such as neurodevelopmental disorders like autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, learning disorders etc; emotional disturbances and mood disorders and, chronic illnesses, self-harm, behavioural problems, eating disorders and others.
• Treatment is family-based and multidisciplinary.
• The treatment plan includes one-on-one sessions with patient, family therapy or counselling etc as well as medicines if required
• Early intervention for developmental delays, behaviour therapy, CBT, Parent Management Training etc are some of the strategies used.
Community Mental health education
Mental health awareness programmes are organised regularly by the department to :
• Educate psychiatric patients and their family members
• Create public awareness about psychological problems and illnesses.
• Remove myths about psychiatric illness and its treatment
• De-stigmatise psychiatric illness
• To promote positive mental health
Free camps, workshops, lectures with relevant mental health themes like Stress management, anger management, smoking cessation, maintaining good relationships, depression etc. are delivered in schools, colleges, offices, community centres etc. from time to time.
Department has an ongoing training programme for
• DNB (ie postgraduation) in Psychiatry
• Internship, observership and field training of Psychology students who come from various universities of NCR Delhi, other states and sometimes foreign countries.
• Psychiatric training of residents doing DNB in :
We promote research relevant to patient wellbeing and public mental health.
We are actively engaged in mental health promotion of people who work in our hospital.
There is a dedicated Counselling cell for the hospital staff to cater to their psychological needs.
MYTHS ABOUT MENTAL ILLNESS
• People get mental illness because of their weak character
• People with mental illness are dangerous to themselves or others
• Everyone who has a mental illness is mad/crazy
• I can handle my own mental problems, and if I cannot I am weak
• People with a mental illness are ‘psycho’, ‘mad’ and dangerous, and should be locked.
• Mental illness does not affect children or youth. Any problems they have are just part of growing up
• Mental illness will never affect me.
• Medicines used to treat mental illness are addictive.
• Psychiatric medicines lead to brain slowing.
Dates for our upcoming group programmes:
- 1st November, 2019...Group therapy for social anxiety disorder...duration 1 hour (12:00 Noon - 01:00 PM).
- 6th December 2019…Group therapy for OCD...duration 1 hour (12:00 Noon - 01:00 PM).
Registration is mandatory. Call 9532195277
Thanks for visiting our site.